Pre-Arrival Information for New Students
What to bring
- Return airline ticket
- Passport and current visa to study in New Zealand
- Travel/medical insurance policy
- Any medication you take regularly
- Laptop and mobile phone
- Adapter plug(s) for electrical items
- Spending money
- Personal items and clothes
- Book your flight so that you arrive a few days before the start of school. This will allow you to recover from jetlag and to get ready to start school.
- Ensure you pack your own bags and do not carry anything for other people.
- Do not carry large amounts of cash.
- Do not bring fresh food with you, even if it is in packaging. You are not allowed to bring fresh food into New Zealand.
- Make sure you let us know your flight and arrival details at least a week before you travel. This will enable us to organise for you to be met at the airport. We will email you to confirm who will be collecting you from the airport.
Arriving in New Zealand
- When you arrive at Auckland airport you should have completed a Passenger Arrival Card. Please ensure that you declare everything. If you are not sure, then ask for help.
- You will go through Passport Control, Baggage Claim and Customs.
- In the public arrivals lounge, you will see either a member of our staff or your host family waiting for you with a sign with your name on it.
- You will be taken to your new home to unpack, settle in, get to know your new family and recover from your journey.
- Ensure you put your passport somewhere safe, or ask your host family to look after it.
- You will be required to attend school wearing full school uniform.
- On the morning of your first day, we will go through an Orientation Programme with you.
- Your will sit an ESOL test to determine your English level and to enable us to know which classes will suit you best.
- We will prepare a personal timetable for you.
- We will introduce you to your ‘buddy’ for the next week or two – your buddy is another student who will look after you, introduce you to new friends and show you around the school.
- You are required to be at school by 8.45am on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. On Thursday school starts at 10.00am. If you are late, you must sign in at reception.
- If you are absent from school, your caregiver must contact the school.